Monday, March 5, 2012

School Lunch Duty

I volunteered to help out at Rowan's school on Mondays' this month.  Today was my first day on the job there and it wasn't so bad.  The kids were great, the lunch looked more decent than the other ones I've seen (today was grilled cheese sandwich day) and the weather was hot.  I was disappointed, however, in the school administration yet again.  The principal "thanked" me for coming to help without even the hint of a smile and the "on staff" lunch helper (in hind sight) bullied me in to saying I would help the other classroom kids instead of my own.  I told Rowan I had to go with the other classes and that bummed her out so much that the staff lunch helper from our class sent someone back to get me and told the other "helper" that I was here to help my kid's class and not to ask me to do anything else.  Wow, I totally let myself get bullied by an adult I was already predisposed to not like.  Damn I'm weak sometimes.  Seriously! Why the hell do I try to "help out" for people who are just plain nasty to me?  Freaky!
So next Monday I have no intention of even speaking to the unpleasant staff helper (who, by the way, spent the entire lunch gossiping with the principal in the corner and neither helped out with the children at all, though that is exactly what they are being paid to do - sheesh!)
On a more positive note... though you may think I'm even more crazy.....
Another Facebook plea from a friend about a preggo chihuahua at the pound needing a foster/rescue.  I've ignored a few of those, knowing that I just couldn't handle more, but I'm feeling pretty good now so I answered this one.  I'll be "pulling" the preggo pup from the pound tomorrow and bringing her home for a month (yes, I told them I could only watch them for a month, I'm learning).  As I answered that I could help, the woman who runs the rescue typed in that she may have found a home for little Nube (our current foster dog), which is pretty awesome.  I hope it happens.  I worry about the little guy getting too attached here and suffering more in the long run.
Ugh, which reminds me.... Evelyn let Nube out of the house after it got dark tonight and didn't say anything until he'd been out for at least 5 minutes.  I thought, "Great, just when he finds a home he's  gonna get killed by a car."  Nope, I caught the little guy... and then I see a car slow down on the road as I'm waiting for it to go by so I can carry him home.  .... and then I see Evelyn running into the street!  Damnit that kid is going to give me a heart attack!  I grabbed her and pulled her to the sidewalk and the couple in the car stopped and said, "We saw her and thought, was that a baby? No, couldn't be."  Wow! I thanked them and explained what happens which made them laugh and the drove off.  Thank goodness they were paying attention or she would have been splat and I would probably be dead from a heart attack right now. Try explaining to a willful 2 year old that they have to listen to mommy and are NOT allowed in the front yard.  I gave it my best shot.  If I catch her trying to get out again I'm going to either install an electric fence or some sort of baby lojack that hobbles her if she tries to escape.  "Action baby", it isn't just a cute name for her, it's true!

No comments:

Post a Comment