Friday, May 23, 2014

Thankfulness

I don't want to say I had a conversation with someone today because it was completely one sided.  I listened to this person bitterly complain about how their parents were the epitome of evil and the cruelty they showed to her and her husband of whom they didn't approve.  On and on and on.  I'm all about a good rant when you need it, but she went directly from crucifying her parents to complaining about the man their daughter is going to marry.  He isn't the one they approve of and "how dare she have started dating him when she was 18.  She wasn't allowed to date yet! Plus there is this other guy who gets along so well with them, he would be much better for her, he thinks exactly like they do."  I tried to point out that this persons parents felt the same way about her husband but I don't think I even scratched that surface.  She has no shame in saying that she wishes her daughter had never been born because her husband never loved the child.  How bitter they are that they never got to travel to Europe because they didn't want to take her daughter with them. Wow! I am so thankful that I push myself daily to allow my kids the freedom to be themselves and me still love them beyond everything else.  I mean, ya, I yell too much and am trying to remember to encourage rather than scold but somehow listening to this woman made me feel as if I'm doing it right.  At the same time I feel extremely sad for her daughter and I hope, really hope, that her daughters husband is smart enough to take her away from her bitter parents and show her what unconditional love really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment